Wine lovers are eagerly anticipating the release of McLaren Vale's 2022 vintage wines, with the region experiencing a second consecutive year of outstanding growing conditions.
Summary of vintage 2022 in McLaren Vale
- The region’s mild summer and warm autumn resulted in a gentle and slow ripening period and delayed harvest, producing outstanding fruit.
- Grape picking took eight weeks to complete, beginning at full pace in the first week of March and ending in the second week of April.
- Yields overall were generally lower than those of 2021.
- While it was a wet La Niña-influenced year for other parts of Australia, McLaren Vale’s vineyards received below average rainfall.
- Cases of botrytis bunch rot were rare, meaning that 2022 Vintage McLaren Vale wines will age well in bottle.
- Regional 2022 red wines have intense, rich and balanced flavours and colours, while whites are showing pretty aromatics and natural acidity.